Career Posted On: July 18, 2018
- Records administration of the medication on resident’s medication administration record. Discards medication refused or otherwise not given and records on medication administration record.
- Safely prepares, administers, and charts oral, topical, and suppository drugs. The medication aide who prepares the medicine administers same.
- Must perform job in a manner that complies with governmental assisted living regulations.
- Checks and prepares each dose immediately preceding administration.
- Checks medication with transcribed or original order.
- Checks all information on label or package for accuracy and clarity.
- Clearly identifies the resident with proper medication.
- * Considers the following when administering a medication.
- Therapeutic action
- Usual dosage
- Factors modifying dosage and effects
- Precautions and contraindications
- Antidote, if known
- Route and frequency of administration
- Signs of deterioration of the medication * Checks with the charge nurse if there are any questions regarding any medication.
- Reports medication errors or reactions to medications immediately to the charge nurse, who, in turn, reports to the resident’s attending physician and completes the necessary documentation.
- Performs accurate pulse and blood pressure and recognizes their significance in drug therapy.
- Signs and has access to the controlled schedule drug cabinet.
- Administers medication only upon a written physician’s order.
- Transcribing physician’s original orders to medicine charts or kardexes;
- Administering any parental medications;
- Administering any substances by nasogastric or gastrostomy tubes;
Medication Technician Duties : Continued
- Maintains safe and sanitary workstations and equipment.
- Encourages independence, attendance at activities, restorative programs and rehabilitation.
- Attends in-service training and education session, as assigned.
- Performs specific work duties and responsibilities as assigned by supervisor.
- Successful completion of State approved Medicine Aide Course, and when applicable, the continuing education course.
- Ability to understand and follow instructions in English, communicate effectively, and perform simple arithmetic. Ability to document care given.
Job Type: Full-time